Madhvi Chittoor has campaigned for climate action since she was 5 years old. Here are some of her amazing achievements so far:
- In 2019, when Madhvi was 7 years old, she campaigned for her school district to switch from polystyrene lunch trays to compostable ones. Her countless letters worked and saved 7.6 million polystyrene containers from going to landfill each year. This change also protected students from carcinogenic materials.
- Her non-profit organisation is: www.madhvi4ee.com – Madhvi4EE
- In October 2019, Madhvi spoke with Greta Thunberg on stage at a Denver rally.
- Madhvi worked with the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC), campaigning for water conservation rules. In 2020, the COGCC adopted Madhvi’s solutions and publicly recognized her contributions.
- Madhvi met Vice President Kamala Harris in 2021 when she presented to Harris her Global Plastic Policy Campaign. Impressed by the young girl’s ideas and leadership skills, Madam VP Harris immediately gave her support. In November 2021, the US adopted her Global Plastic Policy, and the United Nations Environment Assembly passed a resolution for the Global Plastic treaty shortly after.
- In July 2021, Governor Jared Polis signed Madhvi’s Plastic Bill into law. Through this law, polystyrene containers and single-use plastic bags would be banned from all Colorado grocery stores, restaurants, and cafeterias. This law was instrumental in minimizing plastic waste in Colorado and was a large step forward in the climate movement.
- Madhvi has been significant in removing glyphosate, a widely used herbicide, from the home market sector, protecting people from potentially harmful toxins.
- And she was recently selected as Child Advisor to the United Nations’ Children’s Rights Committee.
Madhvi’s work is just beginning. She has been called “the bridge from the USA to all countries around the world for ecosystem work”. Madhvi for President of the US? She would get our vote.